More Random Phone Pictures

Here is another smattering of pictures taken with my phone.

More project updates coming soon…promise.

Posted in photography, random projects

Area Code Wood Block Relief Print

So I teased a little while back about a project that I started here. I finally finished processing and printing! I had some old PA maps not being used and wanted to do something with them. So I designed an image using the 717 area code. I then cut the maps to size using the area of the map that the 717 area code covers and tea/whiskey stained them. After completing the printing I burned the edges and mounted them on mat board.

Thanks for looking! More follow ups projects to come.

Posted in relief print, wood block

Random Pictures

A random smattering of images I found interesting in my travels.

Posted in photography, random projects | 2 Comments

Sneak Peek: New Wood Block Print to Come

I’m going to take a break from the bottle caps for a little bit. Although, I do have more caps lined up as possibilities. Here is a sneak peek into the next project.

I’ve done some initial test proofs and am pleased with how they turned out. I’ll have more pics of this project as it progresses.
Stay tuned!

Posted in experiment, random projects, relief print, wood block

Another Cap Popped: Bottle Cap Relief Print

I had a chance to get to printing the final color of the second bottle cap over this past weekend.
Overall, I’m please with the way this one progressed and turned out despite shop temperatures barely fit for printing. Mounting the linoleum to a backing board vastly improved registration, wash-up and overall carving and handling. It seems like this one took longer than usual to wrap up but that’s the beauty of not having deadlines…no stress.
Here are the pics:

As I’ve done in the past, I’ve decided to mix the redish color on the fly, making each one a little different. Some are a little lighter red, some darker; I think it adds to the individuality of the prints and printmaking.
Oh and if you’re curious, learn more about the beer here.

Posted in beer, bottle cap, crown, linocut, linoleum print, reduction | 3 Comments

Project Updates!

Yes, finally some updates on a few projects! It seems I always have a couple projects in various states of progress.
First off, more birthday card backgrounds printed up and awaiting the second color:

The second colors have been printed but I don’t have photos yet.

More importantly, some progress on the second bottle cap project has been made:

I employed a spot inking technique for most, just inking and printing the edge of the cap. We’ll see how this affects the final color.
I also printed one covering the entire block with the second color:

I did do some color experimentation prior to commencing with this project with some varying results, so we’ll see how the final color will come out.
Also, I’ve finished carving the block for the third and final color. Photos to come!

Finally, I’m resurrecting an older block for use on a new and different medium:

More updates and pictures to come on this project and more…stay tuned.

Posted in beer, birthday, bottle cap, crown, experiment, linocut, linoleum print, reduction

Birds On A Wire: Magpie Relief Print

I finally got to completing the second Magpie linoleum print. A simple one color (black) on 6.5×8.5 French Speckletone True White 80# paper.

A total of 12 were printed in this open edition.

In other news, I tried experimenting with Solar Plates. Results were unsuccessful and I need to make some changes with the light source for exposures.

Now, onto completing the Cap project!

Posted in bird, linocut, linoleum print